Friday, September 02, 2005

Today I read a script entitled "The Set-Up" by Sydney Lumet. It said that it was based on a poem by Joseph Moncure March. After doing a little research I realized that it was a remake screenplay from a 1949 film by Art Cohn. This was definitely an updated version of the story though, the content was really... let's say "modern."

I'll have to admit at first that I was biased as soon I realized it was a boxing story. A few weeks ago I rented Million Dollar Baby and I turned it off as soon as I realized it was going to end in euthanasia...not thanks Clint. I also sat through Ali in a week moment with my dad...biographical movies are always a bad idea for me, halfway through the person's life I'm ready for them to die already. But when I got into the story, I was somewhat drawn in.

The beginning of the story was not developed well at all. I felt thrown into a the relationship with Stoker, the main character, and his long-time girlfriend Julie. The worst part of the movie, though, was Stoker's manger Arnie Manoff, who sells Stoker off to a low-life, dangerous boxing promoter. It made me laugh for awhile because the character reminded me of Derek Zoolander's agent played by Jerry Stiller when he sells Derek off to the evil fashion designer Mugatu (I LOVE that movie).

I think that the most well-written part of the film was the sequence of scenes in the locker room where Stoker and four other boxers were preparing for their matches. I loved how the character Sam helped Stoker see where his life was heading, like he was looking through a mirror that was fast forwarded 5 years. I think the best relationship portrayed in the story was that of Mugsy Lawler and Stoker. There are no flashbacks, and hardly any stories that arise from the two, but there is a deepness to the words that are exchanged between the characters that tells me that there is a heartfelt respect between them. I think it was a better love relationship than what was written about Julie and Stoker.

The script really wasn't that well written--the character's seemed to be underdeveloped and I felt rushed through the whole thing, like there was no depth to it. But ultimately, I think it is a good story, even if it is a boxing movie. I'd be happy just seeing the Art Cohn original though, I love black and white movies. I'm not sure that this modernized version would attract a wide audience.

1 comment:

greg said...

and now you're famous... three spammers in one night!

great script review... i had to read the set up too... sydney lumet.. the writer is one of the best of the old school directors and this script felt like a 1950s type movie to me... not modern at all.. .but one thing you will see with scripts- you kinda have to hit the ground running and jump right into peoples lives and keep going till the end... you get to know people by their actions and not by what they say... so character development usually happens on the fly... great observations tho... i cant wait to see what you will be writing for class...