Saturday, October 01, 2005

Wednesday night was my only free night so I rented Dead Man Walking, thankfully I found a VCR because they only had it on video. I had forgotten how powerful it was. All of the characters really invoked a strong emotion, especially the parents of the victims. The movie was all about conflict, which in turn created conflict inside of myself. I mean, the man deserved to die, look what he did. And all he could do was deny it. He was so full of hate for the people he victimized. Sean Penn's character was the perfect picture of redmeption (yes, I know this is obvious because that is why you assigned us to watch it). His story is how I feel about my own. That no matter what I have done, or will do in my life. If I honesty own up to it, and feel remorse for the sins I've committed, I'm free. I loved Sister helen's use of John 8:32. The truth he owned up to truly did set him free--free from the fear of death and the hatred he felt directed toward him from so many people.

This movie made me sick to my stomach a lot of times, especially during the flashbacks to the crime being commmitted. The violence and the "adult content" in this movie was absolutely necessary though. It made the story true, and made the conflict I was feeling real.

1 comment:

greg said...

sarah

well. you are a good writer. you understand what you are doing. but here are my notes.

format - you need to retype this into scriptwriter... it needs to be done in that software... im sorry - i know its a pain.

still have a bunch of typos and grammatical things.

dont number your scenes... not necessary.

i still really feel as if there is a lack of conflict in your story. it really hasnt changed since the first draft. these girls take off - go on the trip and they all get what they want. i dont feel as if they have to suffer for it. michelle has a fight with her parents and thats it - getting to meet hanson should be like finding the holy grail... there needs to be conflict and problems and they need to feel as if they might never get there or meet them... and when they are about to give up - they come up with a plan - one so crazy it just might work.... :) or something....

i want to see what makes these girls tick - why they want this - what it means to them and what they are willing to give up to get it...

good luck...