Friday, April 01, 2011

Butler and the Goddard Way

I've seen a lot of basketball in my life. Started attending varsity boy's games in my mom's womb. My dad's passion for basketball has bled over into our family life, as anyone who has come in contact with us knows already.

And being from Indiana is a special thing. Basketball is a part of our communities, part of the fabric of our state. Its what we are known for--what a fun thing to be known for.

One of the things I love about Butler is that they've given families something that I have had my entire life. Something to bring us all together that has nothing to do with a holiday or birthday. My sisters and I are grown up, one married and one in nursing school. But at least once a season, we all meet at Hinkle field house for an old fashioned family fun day. We got to go twice this year, to watch the Dawgs beat Stanford and for Senior day.

I had to take a pause in this post because my dad was having one of his coaching moments. For some reason, we were watching part of the Kansas/VCU game.

"Watch this... this is what Butler is going to do tomorrow." And he proceeded to show me how Butler will adjust and shift to guard VCU's offensive set. Actually standing in front of the TV, just as he has stood in front of his own players the last 30 years.

A typical Friday night in the Goddard living room. And I love it. Basketball is the sixth member of our family. In the last decade, Butler has been a part of that craziness. I'm so proud of the team. And happy that my family has one more weekend to come together this year and enjoy something special.

No comments: