Friday, April 28, 2006

Ten Reasons I need R.E.M. in my life

So, I must say I'm not their biggest fan, but I do hold a deep respect for this band. Here's why.

-1- It makes my relationship with my dad so much better.
In 1994, my dad bought "Automatic for the People" and has since then ceased to play anything else but R.E.M. Sometimes it is annoying... well, maybe all the time. But we always have something to talk about now, and we've stopped fighting over what to play in the car. He always wins, there's no use in fighting anymore.

-2- I have learned what the crap it stands for.
I've finally learned R.E.M. stands for rapid eye movement. Yes, its stupid knowlege, but I like knowing stuff. If there wasn't a band, I may never have googled it for understanding.

-3-Now I can love and enjoy the 'best song ever written.'
Yes, I've decided that Christ Marin from Coldplay might be a douchebag... especially since, in his opinon, Coldplay has topped U2 as the world's greatest rock band... Humble much?--and since he is the person who in fact dubbed "In The Sun" (Michael Stipe's Hurricane Katrina Tribute song) the best song ever written, the label probably doesn't hold much weight. But at least Stipe got Martin to praise someone other than himself, and that, I think, is the true accomplishment her. Plus this is a good song... its on like 3 of my mixed cd's right now.

-4- "Saved!" has been a blessing in my life.
Stipe was one of the producers of this critically-acclaimed (at least, it was acclaimed by me, the only critic who matters in this entry) film that looks at all the ways Christians suck sometimes. I'm sure this film stemmed from Stipes' lifestlye choices that, if he had grown up in a Christian home, would have gotten himself sent of to that place that cures gay kids. Seriously, where is the love? Apparently Stipe doesn't have very much for the church. And sometimes I think we deserve it, just maybe.

-5- They make a lot of funny movies funnier.
Case in point-- "Night at the Roxbury." When Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan get into their little tift, you get really sad. Until "Everybody Hurts" starts to play, and then the situation just gets freakin' hilarious.

-6- Man on the Moon and the late, great Andy K.
Andy Kaufman is my favorite comedian, and he died before I was even born. I got to know this great man because of R.E.M.'s "Man on the Moon" a song that talks about how people don't think Kaufman's really dead, that it is just the greatest of all the great pranks he played on us (Cliff, anyone?). I asked my dad a few questions, and I received a full-blown education. Then the movie came out, appriopriately named for the song, and a lot more people my age got to know the best Elvis impersonator of all time.

-7- I always have something to buy my dad.
From concert tickets, tee shirts, albums, posters, concer dvd's... I can do no wrong on holidays. He's an obsessed man, hungry for more R.E.M, and that hunger must get fed somehow. Luckily, I get all the credit for this.

-8- The make-up tricks.
My sisters and I have never actually practiced any of Michael Stipe's make-up techniques that we see over and over when Dad's watching concerts and music videos, but we love that the option is out there. I don't think that I'll ever be daring enough to go for the red eye shadow like he does, though.

-9- I get to see/listen to even more Chris Caraba.
A few summers ago, MTV2 had this special on called Covers. One of the episodes had Dashboard Confessional covering R.E.M.'s "Automatic For the People." Michael Stipe even came out and sang "Hands Down" with the band... oh so great. It was on over and over for a month, and my dad let us, and sometimes forced us to watch it practically every time it was on. And Chris was pretty, he really was. We even have the blessed event on tape. I have bought the songs off iTunes, too, to add a little variety when I am riding in the car with the old man.

-10- Gosh with the Pacers already.
My dad also happens to be a sports freak. I like 'em too, kind of a lot for a girl actually. The R.E.M. obsession gives us a break from having to watch/read/listen to/discuss sports every second of the day. Now its only every other second. I must say, I'm pretty grateful.


(Editor's Note: The reasons I love R.E.M. are not limited to this list. Ten is just a nice, round number. They really are a pretty awesome band, glad to know them.)

1 comment:

greg said...

Sarah!

Hey! Wow... you are still blogging! Good for you! As you can see if you ever stop by my blog - I do little else... :) Since my life is still on hold waiting for my freaking film! Anyway - it was great to see you are still writing.. those are great posts - I'll swing by more often to see how you are doing.

Hang in there...

g