Sunday, August 23, 2009

Goodbye, Maddie

Dear Maddie

We had to put you to sleep yesterday. You had stomach cancer, which is really sad. But I just wanted to take a few minutes to tell you how great of a dog you were. You were the best dog.

We got you at the fair. I was riding the ferris wheel with Amy, and I looked down and Mom and Lauren were at the bottom, and they told me we were going to take home a puppy. I named you, you know. Madeline, after the Hanson song. Now that sounds kind of lame, but I was twelve at the time so that is okay. And you were so tiny and the first night we laid on the floor with you watching a movie, and you let us pet you forever. We got you a collar with a black and white polka dot bow on it. And we tried to walk you down our hilly sidewalk but you never really liked being on a leash.

You loved to play with your ball, and you loved to try to fit two of your toys in your mouth at the same time. You were so smart too, Maddie. I don't care what people say about dogs, I know that you always understood everything that I said to you. Which made it even more annoying when you disobeyed. But you always apologized when you were bad... you'd come in the house and slink away with your ears down. It was kind of hard to stay mad at you.

I missed you so much when I went away to college, but I tried to scratch your belly a lot to make up for the days I wasn't at home. Thanks for always getting so excited when I came in the front door. It really made me feel special.

We buried you next to your best friend Luke. I hope you like it there. When I sit in the armchair of Mom's living room, I can look out the back door and see where Dad put you. And it is going to make me sad for a long time. But mostly thankful that we had you for eleven great years. Thanks for being such a huge part of our family.

You were a really great dog. The best. I love you, Maddie.

Goodbye.

No comments: