Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Self-Reflections from a semester...

The time has come... to make a list. I love lists. They are practically the only thing I read out of a textbook anymore. So here it is.

What I've learned about myself this fall

-1- I am political. Apparently, trying to be unpolitical makes me very much so. And I'm a liberal. A dirty, dirty liberal who believes that at our country's foundation, we believe in basic rights for every citizen. This includes rights like marriage, free expression and religious orientation.

-2- I'm anti-social. Meaning, I don't enjoy being around large groups of people. Or most people on a one-on-one basis, really. I'm not sure if this makes me a negative or mean person...but I'm not all that concerned. I like who I like and I avoid everyone else for the most part.

-3- I'm really dependent on my roommate. I've kind of always known this, but it is becoming blaringly obvious to me as of late. Seriously, she's leaving me to go to England and I'm not going to have anything do. She's the one constant in my life at school, and I have no clue what I'll do without her.

-4- I'm a good journalist because God has called me there. I always kind of thought that my talent in newspapers was kind of a fluke. But that view has changed. There is a lot of good to be done in the field. And it's my passion (I'm aware that this makes me a dork). Using my talent for God makes a lot more sense than fruitlessly trying to become good at something I suck at, just because it is a more "Christian" profession.

-5- My life is simple. And simple equals great. A lot of my friends are dealing with so much right now. And I have absolutely all of my needs met. Things are great, God is great. And sometimes it takes the hardships of others to make you realize how good and easy your life really is. And another thing, homework isn't a hardship. It's not even close.


So there's the list. It is not everything I've discovered, but a good chunk of it.

1 comment:

greg said...

It's a strange thing to realize you're gifted in certain things - and they might not be the things that appear to be "wholly-devoted" to God type things either.

Not that there are Christian hookers or something.

But God can use us in so many places. Places that a pastor or youth pastor can't get into.

I had a friend in Warsaw that was a genius at math. He wanted to go to Grace college - even while MIT was talking to him. I asked him how many Christian Mathmeticians he knew.

None.

God puts a calling in your heart and the talent to follow that calling. I'm excited for you're future...

Even if you are a liberal... :)